Sunday, May 4, 2008

Vision from the Chair


When I look at Senate District 67, I see fellow Democrats who care about health care, education, peace, and other important issues of our time. I see my neighbors, invested deeply in Saint Paul. I see my community, trying to make the Eastside a better place to live. I also see a tool, ready to make our Saint Paul a stronger, safer, and more sustainable community.

Working to elect a Democratic President, U.S. Senator, and U.S. Representative will make sure that as a country we address the real national crises of our time, including: health care, social security, global swarming, and the balance between security and civil liberty. Working to elect Democrats to the State House will make sure that Mee, Tim, and Sheldon can begin a vigorous reinvestment in Minnesota, despite Tim Pawlenty, who stands there with his veto pen as our infrastructure, literally, crumbles around us. Working to elect Democrats, however, is just oneof the many things we can do to strengthen our community and the Democratic Party.

While an important part of the Senate District 67 goals, my vision goes beyond just electing Democrats. I envision a Senate District that gets actively involved in our community. I want us to identify the issues that are most important to the Eastside, such as: the foreclosure crisis, crime and safety, the 3M polyfluorinated carbon waste in our tap water, sustainable housing, and energy efficiency. Then, I want us to take action. Let's write letters to the editor. Let's host community ice cream socials and establish block parties. Let's organize a tour of foreclosed homes like the District 4 Council. Engaging ourselves in the community will help us to retain active membership and to improve public relations. People are more likely to vote for Democrats if they see Democrats taking a proactive role in improving their community.

I look at this room and I see a group of people who care about the Eastside. I want the rest of the world to see that too.

Chris Whiting

No comments: